Are you also looking for a guide that will show you that how you can run .exe files on your Chromebook? If yes, then you are at the right place. Read the full article to know the detailed steps that will guide you to run .exe files on your Chromebook. .exe is a short form for executable files. It is a filename extension for those files which can be directly executed. This extension has been developed by Microsoft and contained by Microsoft Windows. .exe works as the main execution point for a computer program. After knowing that this extension is limited to Microsoft Windows, a question arises in the minds of Chromebook users, that how can they run .exe files on their Chromebook? So, Here is everything you need to know about it.
Run .exe files on Chromebook
Follow the below-mentioned steps to run .exe files on your Chromebook.
- Firstly, you have to enable Linux Mode on your Chromebook. This is the basic requirement for this process. To enable it, follow this path: Go to Settings> Advanced> Developers> Linux Development Environment(Beta)> Turn On.
- After Enabling it, you will be needing a crossover application. For a reference, you can visit codeweavers.com to download a compatible crossover for Chrome OS. Make sure to register.
- Now, go to the file location of this downloaded crossover. Now, right-click on the downloaded file and install it using Linux (Beta).
- The icon of your crossover application will appear on your launcher under Linux Apps.
- Now, move the .exe file that you want to run to the Linux Files folder.
- Launch Crossover Application
- Click on “Install Windows Software”
- Search your .exe file here and select “Unlisted (your file name)”, then click on “Select installer”, and finally click on “Choose Installer Files”
- Your file will start running.
This is a much easier method than the previous one. There is a website that allows you to run Microsoft Windows on your browser. Visit www.apponfly.com to start your trial. This website will allow you to open the .exe files and will run them online.
The second method is much easier but it is an online process. Comment below which method you followed for running the .exe file.
Read how to install some other applications on your Chromebook:
- Baldi’s Basics
- Lunar Client
- Badlion Client