Solus is an independently developed operating system based on the x86 architecture. It is developed on Linux based kernels. Ikey Doherty and other developers of the operating system have stated that Solus’s developement was focused on personal use computers. The OS does not include programs that are only useful in enterprise or server computers.
Flatpak is used to reassemble third party application which increases availability of softwares. eopkg the package manager of Solus is based on the PiSi package management system. The OS comes pre-installed with latest versions of applications like Firefox, Thunderbird and more. Additoonal software can be downloaded through the Software Center.
Solus’s 4.2 version has been released and made available to download. It brings a ton of new features like new desktop environment updates, software stacks, hardware enablement and more.
Some of the changes in the latest version are as follows:-
Hardware and Kernel enablement –
1. AMD RAPL MSR based Energy driver.
2. AMD Renoir Audio co-processor support.
3. Improved exFAT file system support.
4. Realtek 8723DE and 8821CD PCI wireless network adapters.
5. Several new USB cameras.
Multimedia upgrades –
1. Enhancements to High Dynamic Range (HDR) representation and signaling.
2. Improvements to playback rate changes.
3. Automatic switching to HDMI being disabled by default.
4. Support for more USB gaming headets
- Budgie Menu will no longer show empty categories, a common occurrence when installing applications via WINE.
- Budgie Menu will now alphabetically sort category names, which is useful when you have custom user desktop directories for applications. They are no longer forced to be below default system-wide desktop directories such as Internet / Networking, Office, Sound & Video, etc.
- Background icons not refreshing, resulting in instances where it may appear that multiple icons are overlapping.
- Tray icons not consistently hiding when a panel hides (during “Intelligent” mode).
- Tray icons blinking when panel transparency is set to “Dynamic”
- Tray icons getting hidden when switching icon themes.
Caja can now show thumbnails in its list view.
Engrampa now has support for more formats.
MATE Control Center will now display its icons correctly on HiDPI displays.
New window decoration themes in Marco.
The alt+tab max columns is now configurable and considers window label width.
The Mouse app now supports acceleration profiles.
Software Details –
Name – Solus
Version – 4.2
Download Link – Click here