New PC games always run into one issue or another. The Last of Us Part 1 is no different in this regard. A lot of players have run into the game not launching, crashing, and freezing along with a black screen. All these are major errors that will completely ruin your experience. While some of these issues are quite easy to fix, others will take some effort. But, you don’t have to worry about it any longer. If you are also looking for solutions and more information on the same, then you have come to the right place.
The Last Of Us Part 1 is one of the most popular games that has recently rolled out for PC. Fans love the storyline as well as the gameplay. The characters are amazing and the plot is engaging. With the game’s release finally on PC, it has tons of bugs and other issues that are quite troublesome. Folks have been trying to fix these problems using all means necessary. Well, The Last of Us Part 1 is a resource-heavy game. So, it is natural that some people aren’t able to get optimal performance. Below, we have some methods that will help you resolve the issue.
| Also read: How to fix the Insufficient Memory issue in Last of Us Part 1?
The Last of Us Part 1 Not Launching, Crashing, Freezing & Black Screen Issue On PC: How to fix it?
As we mentioned before, there are a couple of ways to fix The Last of Us Part 1 Not Launching, Crashing, Freezing & Black Screen issues. We have mentioned them below for you. So without further ado, let us begin.
1) Reboot your PC-
First and foremost, you should reboot your PC. This generally resolves small bugs and glitches that trigger these types of issues. So, close all the tasks and then restart your PC. After this, launch the game and check if the issue persists.
2) Verify the game files-
You might encounter these issues due to missing or corrupt game files. You can easily resolve this issue by verifying or repairing the game files. To do so, just follow the instructions below.
- Launch Steam and go to Library.
- Right-click The Last of Us Part 1 and then select Properties.
- Head over to the Local Files tab.
- Click on the Verify integrity of the game files option.
- Wait for the process to complete.
3) Update your GPU drivers-
Next, make sure that your GPU drivers are up to date. This is very important as the manufacturers keep rolling out new versions to keep things updated. So, visit NVIDIA’s or AMD’s website and check if a new version is available. If there is, then promptly download and install it on your PC. Now, a couple of folks have mentioned that the current NVIDIA driver (version 531.18 or newer) is causing crashes in the game. This will happen if you have an RTX 30 series card on your PC. So, press the Windows key and type Device Manager. Now, expand the Display Adapter tab and right-click on your GPU. Next, click on Uninstall device. Once you do this, visit NVIDIA’s website and download an older version of the drivers for your card.
4) Run the game through the dedicated GPU-
This issue is mostly in laptops that have more than one GPU. You must run the game through the dedicated GPU to get good performance. There are two ways to switch the GPU on your PC. We have listed both of them below.
Through graphics setting-
- Press the Windows key and type Graphics Settings.
- Click on Browse and add the game’s .exe file.
- You will find this file at Steam/steamapps/common/The Last of Us Part 1.
- Click on the file and then click on Add.
- Now, click on the game and then select Options.
- Next, select High-Performance from the menu.
Through NVIDIA Control Panel-
- Press the Windows key and type NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Go to the 3D Settings tab.
- Click on the Manage 3D Settings option.
- Go to Programs and then click on The Last of Us Part 1.
- Scroll down and look for the preferred graphics processor option.
- Select the NVIDIA GPU.
- Close the Window and then launch the game.
5) Uncheck the compatibility option-
Your PC may be running The Last of Us Part 1 in compatibility mode. While this is good when your PC is struggling to run the game, this option causes some issues in other cases. So, you might want to disable the compatibility option for the game. Just follow the instructions to do so.
- Open the File Explorer.
- Go to the following address- Steam/steamapps/common/The Last of Us Part 1.
- Right-click on the .exe file and then select Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Uncheck the box next to the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option.
- Now, click Apply and then Ok.
- Close the Window and then try launching the game.
6) Check the system requirement-
As we mentioned before, The Last of Us Part 1 is a resource-heavy game. So, you will need a decent rig to play the game smoothly. We have listed the official minimum system requirement for running the game. Make sure that your PC meets this requirement.
- Intel Core i7-4770K or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X processor.
- 16 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT (4 GB) GPU.
- 100 GB available storage space.
7) Lower the in-game settings-
If your PC barely meets the system requirement, then you should lower the in-game settings. This mainly includes the graphical settings. So, open the game, and then from Settings, head over to the Graphics tab. Here, make sure to lower the resolution and the Texture quality. We recommend setting them to Low or Medium. Also, turn off DLSS and turn On V-Sync to reduce the stress on your PC.
8) Run the game with administrative privileges-
You may be running into these issues because the game does not have administrative privileges. To provide this permission, just follow these steps-
- Open Steam and go to Library.
- Right-click on The Last of Us Part 1.
- Select Properties and go to the Local Files tab.
- Here, click on the Browse Local Files option.
- Now, right-click on the game’s .exe files.
- Select Properties and head over to the Compatibility tab.
- Now, check the box next to the “Run this game as an administrator” option.
- Apply the setting and then close the window.
9) Use different launch options-
You can use a couple of different launch options through Steam for better performance. This generally helps out a lot as well. To do this, just follow the instructions below.
- Launch the Steam Client.
- Go to Library and right-click on The Last of Us Part 1.
- Select Properties and head over to the General tab.
- Now, under the launch options, type the following commands and press enter after each one- “-dx11”, “-dx12”
- Close the window and launch the game.
10) Install Visual C++ files-
You may be getting these issues because of old, corrupt, or missing Visual C++ files. You can easily replace these files with new ones. To do this, visit Microsoft’s website and download the installer. Once you do this, run the installer on your PC. This will install the latest Visual C++ files on your system.
11) Reinstall the game-
Now, if nothing else worked out for you, then you can try reinstalling The Last of Us Part 1. But before doing this, make sure that you have updated the game to the latest version. If the issue persists, then uninstall the game and then do a clean installation.
Well, this brings us to the end of the article. We hope that you were able to resolve the issues. Stay tuned to Digi Statement for more such gaming guides.