Google Play Store is the official app developed by Google for users to download and install Android apps officially and securely. It was launched on 22 October 2002, as Android Market. Google Play Store launched on 6th March 2012, combining Android Market, Google Music and Google eBookstore.
It is the heart of the Android OS, and without it the user will not be able to use their device properly. It also serves as a digital media store, offering books, music, movies and television programmes. Applications that are available on the Play Store can be downloaded for free or at a cost.
It allows users to pay for the app using credit/debit cars, Google Play gift cards, UPI and more. The developers of the app get 70% of the application fees and the rest of the 30% goes to to the distribution partners and operating fees. Google Play also allows the developers to release early versions of their apps to users with beta programs.
Until March 2015, Google Play also had a ‘Devices’ section through which users could purchase Google branded hardware such as Pixel devices, Chromecasts.etc. The devices section was discontinued with a seperate online store called Google Store, launched on March 11 2015.
Google Play Music has been discontinued in December 2020, making space for Youtube Music and Google Podcasts and the Google Play Movies & TV was discontinued, before being renamed to Google TV in September 2020. Google also expanded their services geographically. Google Play Store has over 82 billion downloads in 2016 and has reached over 3.5 million apps published in 2017.
Google Play Store’s latest version, 23.0.25 fixes bugs and enhancements.
Software Name – Google Play Store
Developer – Google LLC
Version – 23.0.25
Download – Click Here