Being one of the most popular video games distribution services online, Steam is used by most gamers daily to download, manage and update their games. If you are one of those, you must know that Steam contains a lot of bugs, and today we will be talking about one of these bugs that people have encountered.
What is Steam workshop?
The Steam workshop is a part of the Steam community which is a discussion forum by Steam in which gamers can write their reviews and comments on the latest news on games and other stuff.
Steam workshop is a great place for exploring new community-made mods, items, and maps for a variety of games.
The error with the Steam workshop causes it to not download mods. There is a lot of reason causing this error to happen.
- Firstly, If the download cache contains broken files.
- Corruption problem on Steam installation
- Outdated Steam application
- Using incorrect download region i.e., your actual physical region is far away from the download region selected.
- If you have opted in Steam beta update program.
Before trying any of the fixes, we recommend restarting your computer first as it refreshes the operating system and removes any corrupt data that may be causing the problem.
First fix : Use big picture mode.
There are some instances where the download progress only shows in big picture mode after mods have been updated to the latest version. To use big picture mode:
- Open the Steam client and in the top right corner, you will see the big picture mode icon, just at the left of the minimize button. Click on it to enter big picture mode.
- Check if the mods are downloading in the queue in big picture mode.
Second fix : Change the download region.
Sometimes if your download region is far away from your IP. It can block the downloading of the mods. To change the download region:
- Open the Steam client and click on the Steam button in the top left corner.
- In the Steam menu, click on “setting”.
- Then click on “download”.
- In the download, you will see the download region change that to your physical location and then click ok
- Try downloading the mods again and see if the error occurs or not.
Third fix : Clear Steam download cache
If there is a lot of data stored in the download cache of the Steam client, this error can occur. To clear out the download cache:
- Open Steam client as an administrator.
- In the download menu of the Steam client. You will see a “clear download cache” button at the bottom of the screen click on that and click yes at the confirmation prompt. (To open the download menu, you can refer to the second fix.)
- Restart Steam and log in to your account and check if mods are downloading or not.
Fourth fix : opt-out of the Steam beta programs
Some of the users have reported that opting out of the beta program helps in resolving the issue. To do this:
- Open Steam client and open setting from the Steam button in the left upper corner.
- In the setting, click on “account”.
- In account, you will see a button “Change” in beta participation
- Click on that button and select “None – opt-out of all beta program” and then click on “ok”
If the problem persists after trying all the fixes. You can try uninstalling and then re-installing the Steam app.
That is it for this article. I hope these fixes will help you solve your problem.